Since 1980, Tabitha Gilmore-Barnes Studio has been weaving and selling handwoven textiles for the wardrobe and home under the tag line “BRING HOME THE COLORS OF THE CATSKILLS” ™. However, 2016-2017 marks the transition to weaving tapestries (‘drawing in wool’) and participation in regional and local exhibits. These tapestries are inspired by two sources: studio views of the Catskills here in Delaware County, NY, and Scripture words and images.
The Catskills inspired tapestries highlight the open skies of towering cumulus clouds, the ranges of seasonal colors seen in the garden and local streams. The Biblically inspired tapestries focus on key words, woven in the calligraphic Hebrew alphabet, or Latin and Greek; the symbolic colors and imagery aim to encourage and reinforce the viewer’s understanding of Scripture.
Color is an important component of these tapestries, hence the handspinning and dyeing local wools provide a vibrancy and subtlety not necessarily achieved with commercially prepared wools. This process holds the excitement of weaving tapestries.
- Olive Free Library, Fresh Air, Juried, July – September;
- Pine Hill Community Center, Catskilled Crafters presents Coats of Many Colors, July;
- East Branch Delaware River Plein Air Painters, Annual Exhibit, Memorial Day – July Fourth Weekends;
- Cooperstown Art Association, 31st Essential Art Annual Event Regional Juried Art Show, May – June;
- Roxbury Arts Group, Inscapes, Juried Group Show, March – April
- AMR Artists, Inc. Paint The Town Exhibition at Longyear Gallery and Mini Exhibits in Roxbury
- Olive Free Library, Eye to Eye, Juried, July – September;
- Roxbury Arts Group, Who is Going To Stop Me? Juried Group Show, May– June;
- Pine Hill Community Center, Celebration of Community & Creativity, with video curated by Jan Albert and filmed by Kent Garret, ZOOM Session February 25, 2021, and later aired on Catskills Air Channel 1
- Cooperstown Art Association, 28th Essential Art Annual Event Regional Juried Art Show, May – June;
- Longyear Gallery, Artists Choose Artists, invitational
- AMR Artists Annual Open Studios Tour
- American Tapestry Alliance, since 2017
- AMR Artists, Inc, since 2012
- Catskill Mountain Artisans Guild, since 2007
- Catskilled Crafters, since 2018